Armed Austerity? Cash-strapped EU beefs up military
published on Nov 23, 2012 by RussiaToday
One area that EU leaders are being forced to not let their guard down is on
defense and security. The European Parliament‘s voted through a resolution
to keep national militaries at full strength. As Polly Boiko explains, the warning
is that reducing defense budgets could lead to the EU’s strategic decline.
British Euro MP David Campbell Bannerman voted against the move
– accusing Brussels of encroaching on sovereignty by expecting states to
relinquish control of defense and security decisions.
RT LIVE http://rt.com/on-air
- ‘Direct assault on sovereignty’? EU resolution forces members to beef up security (rt.com)
- European Parliament to increase spending on promoting itself (telegraph.co.uk)
- Cash-strapped EU to sell weapons online (worldbulletin.net)
- Cameron To Insist On Austerity In EU Budget – Sky News (news.sky.com)
- Fear of failure looms over EU summit (bigpondnews.com)