(may be a copy and paste job to see vid)
They’ve removed the only public health expert on the board of the Sydney Catchment Authority and installed a former mining company executive and Liberal Party crony as chairman. What the ____ ?
Department of Planning and Infrastructure has recommended approval of Apex Energy’s modification application. The modification would revive the plan to drill 16 coal seam gas (CSG) wells in and around the Woronora and Upper Nepean drinking water catchments. Apex Energy has also been sent a renewal offer for a lapsed exploration licence – PEL 442 – that extends from Scarborough in the north to Dapto in the south; a licence required for the project to go ahead
This news follows the announcement earlier this week that the entire board of the Sydney Catchment Authority has been overhauled by the government. The new chairperson is a former director of two of Australia’s largest mining companies, and for the first time in its history there is no public health expert on the board.
The Government seems hell bent on developing CSG in the drinking water catchment, regardless of risk or level of community opposition. They have shown complete contempt for the thousands who rallied in October to Protect H2O.
This is not just an issue for the Illawarra. 4.5 million people in NSW rely on water sourced from the Sydney Water Catchment, including much of Greater Sydney.
Regardless of this Government recommendation, and whatever the Planning Assessment Commission decides, this community will not let CSG development in the drinking water catchment go ahead.
- Statement from Australian Gas Protesters (earthfirstnews.wordpress.com)
- Systems model (naryndavar.wordpress.com)
- DIY: Rainwater Collection System (directive21.com)
- Thousands Protest Coal Seam Gas in Australia (earthfirstnews.wordpress.com)
- Spell it out: No fracking! (climateandcapitalism.com)
- Secret plan to muddy the water (smh.com.au)
- Kakanui catchment study reveals declining water quality (radionz.co.nz)
- Natives threaten army with court injunction (hornbillunleashed.wordpress.com)