Tassie poppies – helping the world
Through significant developments and the application of innovative research and development, GSK continues to contract with and assist Tasmanian farmers to grow poppy crop, directly contributing to the word’s medicinal opiate needs. The opiates are extracted from the poppies at our factory in Port Fairy, Victoria and are used in a range of pharmacy and prescription medicines worldwide.
We are continually researching how to develop new varieties of poppy and improve growing techniques that will increase the poppy and alkaloid yields, and make the crop safer.
World demand pushes huge increase in Tasmanian poppy production
The world demand for poppies is set to increase Tasmania’s poppy production by up to 50 per cent in the next 12 months.
President of Tasmanian Poppy Growers Glynn Williams is in Vienna for the Commission for Narcotic Drugs annual conference and says farmers in Tasmania have been given a challenge to meet the expected demand.
He says production figures released at the conference confirm Tasmania could increase poppy production in the next year to 30 thousand hectares.
Glynn Williams says Tasmanian farmers must meet the demand or farmers in other Australian states could take up the challenge.
So our Hypocritical Government can increase Opium production for peoples medical requirements but use taxpayers monies to eradicate Hemp,… and the say this makes sense? whats the definition of schitsophrenia again ????
- Official: Dozens of poppy-eradication campaigners were killed in past month (stripes.com)
- Afghanistan: High Expectations of Record Opium Crop (financialsurvivalnetwork.com)
- GMO ban set to stay (abc.net.au)
- ‘1mn died’ from Afghan heroin, drug production ’40 times higher’ since NATO op (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Raw poppy import inquiry (abc.net.au)
- Ten per cent of Afghan economy still depends on opium – UN (en.trend.az)
- Afghanistan’s Opium Protected by Taliban and Fuelling World’s Heroin Supply (greenprophet.com)
- UN: Opium Production on the Rise in Afghanistan (voanews.com)
- Karzai blames U.S. and Britain for increased opium production (kristacanon41.wordpress.com)